Austin E. Knowlton
Mr. Austin E. Knowlton, also known as “Dutch”, was the owner and Chairman of the Knowlton Construction Company, an organization started in Bellefontaine, Ohio, in 1937 and whose predecessors dated back to 1906. Mr. Knowlton, through his company, was responsible for over 600 major and significant construction projects throughout Ohio and the Midwest, including school buildings, hospitals, libraries and post offices.
Mr. Knowlton was a 1927 graduate of Bellefontaine High School in Logan County, Ohio and The Ohio State University, class of 1931, where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in Architectural Engineering. He became an avid sportsman with a 50-year interest in saddlebred horses, an original founding partnership of the Cincinnati Bengals where he served as Chairman, a major ownership interest for many years in the Cincinnati Reds, and a trusteeship of the Little Brown Jug Society for harness racing in Delaware, Ohio. Mr. Knowlton also was a leading philanthropist with The Ohio State School of Architecture named in his honor.